As we get ready to head to the NHC, our schedules get a little screwy (we have one more episode before the Wrath of Conn Con)
In feedback we hear about some fun experiences and a nice gesture on the part of a listener. Also we hear from others about Denny and Marshall's recent commentary about skipping over aeration/oxygenation
In the pub, we talk our "plans" for Homebrew Con in Baltimore in June - a live Q&A, a Troubleshooters Corner, Book Signings and more! The Brewers Association gets their history on with one of America's great institutions - The Smithsonian. Denny talks his overwhelming experience at the Craft Brewers Conference. And lastly we ask "Has Craft Beer Gone Too Far?"
In the library we discuss a great article from the Counter Brew website that does a really excellent job laying in the ground work for your knowledge about Brett.
At the lab where we talk the recent obsession with the hazy style called "New England IPA". Specifically we cover the history and the theories behind the style and the infamous, hotly debated murk. And so we're going to launch a full series of explorations, because of course we will. For this first time, we're going to look at yeast impact - namely Wyeast 1056 and Wyeast 1318 in the same wort. Is one murk-tastic? And to back it up, listener Jason Faylor sent in a pair of beers with exactly this same premise so we get our tasting on (and prove that Denny and Drew can really disagree about things)
For the interview segment, we grab some time with John Holl - editor of All About Beer Magazine. We offer him a chance to lay down his opinions and his colorful New Jersey beliefs. It's an interview that exercised Denny's bleeping finger. We think we got them all!
After that, we're off to the books as we try and answer more listener questions.
Denny reminds us all to test your thermometers!
Lastly, Drew fondly explores the world of CorgiOrgy.com and some incredibly sexy Russian cakes.
- Patreon Remember even a buck is good for the dogs: http://www.patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
- Freedom Service Dogs: https://freedomservicedogs.org/
- Homebrew Con - Register Now!: http://www.homebrewcon.org/
- BA And The Smothsonian: http://americanhistory.si.edu/topics/food-history/pages/brewing-history
- "Has Craft Beer Gone Too Far": http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/has-craft-beer-movement-finally-gone-to...
- CounterBrew The Actual Truth About Yeast: http://counterbrew.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-actual-truth-about-yeast-bre...
- Denny's IPA Reviews: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/oh-say-can-you-see-through-y...
- BeerAdvocate NE IPAs under the scope: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/northeast-haze-through-a-m...
- New England IPA Experiment: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/new-england-ipa-series-it-yeast
- Israel Bissell IPA: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/israel-bissell-ib-ne-ipa
- The Story of Israel Bissell: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/apr/29/news/adna-unsung29
- AllAboutBeer: http://allaboutbeer.com/
- CorgiOrgy.com: Seriously just click it.
- Olga Noskova Mirror Cakes: http://www.boredpanda.com/mirror-glazed-marble-cake-olganoskovaa/
00:00:00 Our Sponsors
00:03:33 Theme, Intro and Feedback
00:14:12 Beer Life from the Experimental Brewing Pub
00:39:40 The Library - Brett
00:42:39 Casa Verde Labs - NE IPA - History, Style, Experiment and Tasting
01:10:34 The Lounge - All About Beer's John Holl
01:56:51 Q&A wth Denny & Drew
02:12:25 Something Other Than Beer
02:15:04 Quick Tip
02:18:26 Question of the Week, Wrap up and Coming Attractions
This episode is brought to you:
Interested in helping Denny and Drew with the IGOR program (aka help us run experiments!) - contact them at [email protected]. We want more Citizen Science!
In the meanwhile, subscribe via your favorite podcasting service (iTunes, etc). Like our podcast, review it - talk it up! If you have comments, feedbacks, harassments, etc, feel free to drop us a line at [email protected]. Follow us on Facebook (ExperimentalHomebrewing) or Twitter (@ExpBrewing). If you have questions you'd like answered in our Q&A segment, send an email to [email protected]!
Don't forget you can support the podcast on Patreon by going to http://patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
This episode can be downloaded directly at http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/d...
Podcast RSS Url: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss