Busy Episode this time! Crammed with like - additional feedback to last episode's Staling results. Seems like some of you have been using scary old grain! In the pub we stop and talk a while about Denny's Hop School experiences (more on those later), the law in California and the crushing "loss" of Bosteels Brewery to ABI. (Maybe they should be Boo-steels now?) and one brewery's response to the recent PR campaign to try and make everyone feel better about the buyouts.
We swing by the brewery to talk about Drew's recent Saison yeast tasting - which you can find online. In the library we visit a couple of papers on yeast genetics.
In the lab, we're happy to announce our next great experiment - brought to you by our sponsors, the American Homebrewer's Association and NikoBrew.com. We're going to get a whole squad of homebrewers making up some hoppy beers and having them analyzed and tasted! See the recipe and experiment writeup for details. We're super stoked for this!
Then Denny goes and talks to the folks out of Whirlpool's W Labs about their soon to launch all in one fermenter, fridge, kegerator - the Vessi. Then he heads off to the posh environs of Bainbridge Island WA to talk with Russell Everett of Bainbridge Brewing. Listen and find out what stout and noodles have to do with each other.
Then in Something Other Than Beer - we lament 2016's continuing losses - this time with Gene Wilder. Then Drew shares Sia's new video for "The Greatest" which is a bit of a gut punch. Lastly, to leave on a happy note - Drew also mentions Comixology for all your comic enjoyment.
Finally Denny drops a tip about how best to dry your hops. The key - a little bit of heat, but not too much if you want to preserve all the good oils!
- Staling Experiment - https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/impact-crushed-malt-age-bee...
- YCH Hop School - https://ychhops.com/connect/events/home-brewing/hop-and-brew-school
- AB-2172 - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201...
- Bosteels buyout - http://www.brewbound.com/news/b-inbev-acquire-belgiums-brouwerij-bosteels
- Modern Times Response to Selling Out - http://moderntimesbeer.com/blog/what-selling-out?cc
- Drew's Saison Yeast Tasting - https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/saison-files-tasting-saison-...
- Lar Blogs - Yeast Genetcs - http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/349.html
- Cell - Domestication and Divergence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Beer Yeasts - http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(16)31071-6
- The Great Hop Experiment - https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/great-ibu-test
- Vessi - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vessi-beer-fermentor-and-dispenser--4
- Bainbridge Island Brewing - http://www.bainbridgebeer.com/
- Something Other Than Beer - Gene Wilder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tE1T2ys7qo
- Something Other Than Beer - Sia - The Greatest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSRyLdjsPA
- Something Other Than Beer - Comixology - https://www.comixology.com/
- Patreon Remember even a buck is good for charity: http://www.patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
- Experimental Brew Store - https://www.experimentalbrew.com/store
00:00:00 Our Sponsors
00:04:13 Support Us
00:05:19 Listener Feedback
00:13:44 The Pub - Hop School, California Law, Sellouts
00:28:00 The Library - Yeast Genetics
00:42:00 The Lab - The Great IBU Experiment Announcement
00:52:48 The Lounge - W Labs - Vessi
01:12:24 The Lounge - Russel Everett - Bainbridge Island Brewing
01:54:01 Something Other Than Beer - Gene Wilder, Sia, Comixology
02:00:43 Quick Tip - Hop Drying
This episode is brought to you:
Interested in helping Denny and Drew with the IGOR program (aka help us run experiments!) - contact them at [email protected]. We want more Citizen Science!
In the meanwhile, subscribe via your favorite podcasting service (iTunes, etc). Like our podcast, review it - talk it up! If you have comments, feedbacks, harassments, etc, feel free to drop us a line at [email protected]. Follow us on Facebook (ExperimentalHomebrewing) or Twitter (@ExpBrewing). If you have questions you'd like answered in our Q&A segment, send an email to [email protected]!
Don't forget you can support the podcast on Patreon by going to http://patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
This episode can be downloaded directly at http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/d...
Podcast RSS Url: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss