On this week's episode, we correct things we got wrong, sit down and look at some different responses to the whole beer name and respect issue, talk about how an early San Francisco craft brewer is coming back and why their move feels similar to Widmer's recent moves and explore the idea of Black Friday Counter Programming the Goose Island Bourbon County Frenzy. We stop by the library to get Drew's recommendations on books for brewers and why Denny doesn't have time to read anymore. In the brewery, Drew talks about a stubborn brewery imperfection that he's got to solve and Lallemand's new dried "New England IPA" yeast. Then we sit down in the lounge with Kevin Osborne of Cellador Ales to talk about running a fermentorium, his giant next door neighbor, how he looks to build sour flavors and hold onto house cultures.
And then of course we answer some questions and Denny goes back to basics before Drew leaves you a new podcast exploring old crime.
- BrewSwag.com - Use Code "Experimental" and save 7.5% and give 7.5% to our charity fund!
- PicoBrew - Save $$ on a Zymatic with the code PICODENNY at http://www.picobrew.com
- Ban Sexist Names from CAMRA Comps - https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2017/11/27/Ban-sexist-beers-...
- CAMRA's Response - https://twitter.com/CAMRA_Official/status/935905041097150464
- Garage Project's Response to "Death From Above" - https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/99351596/garage-p...
- Speakeasy reopens - https://sf.eater.com/2017/11/27/16707434/speakeasy-taproom-open-san-fran...
- Drew's Book Recommendations:
- The Secrets of Master Brewers (Jeff Alworth) - http://amzn.to/2jhqn4Y
- Session Beers (Jennifer Talley) - http://amzn.to/2koUpqZ
- Lager (Dave Carpenter) - http://amzn.to/2kpEJna
- Ancient Brews (Patrick McGovern) - http://amzn.to/2kqS6Dy
- 6 O'Clock Brews (Peter Symons) - http://www.lulu.com/shop/peter-symons/6-oclock-brews/paperback/product-2...
- Beer Styles from Around the World (Horst Dornsbusch) - http://amzn.to/2ktnamx
- Denny's Book Recommendation:
- Methods of Modern Homebrewing (Chris Colby) - http://amzn.to/2BEej4B
- Lallemand's New England Yeast - http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/product-details/lalbrew-new-england/
- Cellador Ales - http://www.celladorales.com/
- Hollywood & Crime Podcast - http://wondery.com/wondery/shows/hollywoodcrime/
- Desi Strong - https://www.desistrongfoundation.org/
- Patreon Remember even a buck is good for charity: http://www.patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
- Experimental Brew Store - https://www.experimentalbrew.com/store
00:00:00 Opening & Our Sponsors
00:03:31 Announcements & Corrections
00:11:34 The Pub
00:29:16 The Library - Xmas Brew Books
00:37:19 The Brewery - Drew's Stubborn Problem & Dried New England Yeast
00:46:21 The Lounge - Kevin Osborne of Cellador Ales
01:55:04 Quick Tip
01:57:47 Something Other Than Beer
This episode is brought to you by:
Interested in helping Denny and Drew with the IGOR program (aka help us run experiments!) - contact them at email@example.com. We want more Citizen Science!
In the meanwhile, subscribe via your favorite podcasting service (iTunes, etc). Like our podcast, review it - talk it up! If you have comments, feedbacks, harassments, etc, feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook (ExperimentalHomebrewing) or Twitter (@ExpBrewing). If you have questions you'd like answered in our Q&A segment, send an email to email@example.com!
Don't forget you can support the podcast on Patreon by going to http://patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
This episode can be downloaded directly at http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/d...
Podcast RSS Url: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss