It's Episode 12 and we're announcing our next experiment amongst other things! We start with listener feedback - everyone was intrigued by and puzzled by the results of our First Wort Hop experiment. So were we!
At the pub, we talk about how the results of the GC election with lots of teasing that's not meant to be taken seriously! We announce that we have "plans" for Homebrew Con in Baltimore in June. Denny gets to rant and rave at the moon with his latest pet peeve and Drew shares an awesome example of how sometimes the customer isn't right at all.
We make a quick stop in the brewery to talk about getting your beer can on
Then to the lab where we dig into every homebrewer's experience. You go to the homebrew shop full of good intentions, buy some grain and mill it. Then you can't brew for a month or two - is your grain still good? Oh bother - guess we'll find out, won't we?
We go to the Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference where Denny interviews Annie Johnson - one of our favorite brewers. Not only has she won two amazing brewing achievements - AHA Homebrewer of the Year and Pilsner Urquell's Masterhomebrewer, but she manages to keep a playful side to her brewing. Listen and learn! (Including her secret obsession)
After Annie, we hit the books for a couple of questions, including one that really made us do some research to avoid our knee jerk "are you kidding us?" reaction. That was awesome!
Denny drops his quick tip about being a yeast abuser.
And then Denny talks about his soon to be assembled chicken coop and the artisans behind it. Drew then drops two things - Billy Dee is back as Colt 45's spokesman and Sweden has a phone number. Yup, Sweden. It's awesome.
- Patreon - Remember even a buck is good for the dogs! - http://www.patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
- Freedom Service Dogs - https://freedomservicedogs.org/
- Governing Committee Results - http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/2016-aha-governing-committee-...
- Homebrew Con - Register Now! - http://www.homebrewcon.org/
- Black Acre Brewing - http://blackacrebrewing.com/
- Black Acre Brewing's Social Media Rant - https://www.facebook.com/jordan.gleason.1/posts/10106173966458658
- Beer Monks Canning - http://beermonks-socal.com/
- Cross Roads Ca nning - http://www.crossroadscanning.com/
- Saison Figolla Recipe - https://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/saison-figolla
- Stale Malt Experiment - http://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/impact-crushed-malt-age-beer...
- Denny's Old Stoner Recipe - http://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/dennys-old-stoner-barleywine
- The Diastatic Activity Of Hops, Together With A Note On Maltase In Hops - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1941.tb06070.x/ab...
- Malta - http://www.delicioussparklingtemperancedrinks.net/MaltaGoya.html
- Denny's Chicken Coop Artisan - http://soliddesignwoodworking.timbl.net/
- Billy Dee! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAKcia7WwVA
- NPR Calls Sweden - http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/07/473438101/call-a-random-swede-we-tried-it-out
- NOTE: In the Q&A segment, when we answer a question abpout hop degradation, I mention that YCH Hops now prints the HSI (Hop Storage Index) on the bags of hops homebrewers buy. Here's how you can use that....HSI shows you the alpha acid loss in the hops over 6 months at a 68F storage temperature. As an example of how it works, let's say you have some hops that start at 10% AA and have an HSI of .250. That means that in 6 months of storage at 68F, the AA% will drop to 7.5%. But since we all know that degradation of hops also depends on temperature, if those hops are stored at 28F, the AA is 9.0%. In effect, each 10F drop in strage temp equates to about .5% AA increase. There's more to it than this, though, and in the future we hope to have someone from YCH on to talk about HSI.
00:00:00 Our Sponsors
00:03:04 Theme, Intro and Feedback
00:10:24 Beer Life from the Experimental Brewing Pub
00:24:36 The Brewery - Mobile Canning
00:33:36 Casa Verde Labs - Going Stale
00:43:37 The Lounge - Annie Johnson
01:07:37 Q&A wth Denny & Drew
01:39:27 Quick Tip - Yeast Abuse
01:46:14 Something Other Than Beer - Coops, Billy Dee, Sweden
01:51:35 Question of the Week, Wrap up and Coming Attractions
This episode is brought to you:
If you have questions you'd like answered in our Q&A segment, send an email to [email protected]!
Don't forget you can support the podcast on Patreon by going to http://patreon.com/experimentalbrewing
This episode can be downloaded directly at http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/d...
Podcast RSS Url: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss